Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Sample Irish Lesson

Introduction
I always start my Irish lesson by introducing new vocabulary/ phrases. I always try to incorporate puppets into my Irish lesson to add that element of fun. I write the vocab or phrases on the board e.g. lámh, cos, ceann, béal.

Cluichí
-Next we play some vocab games to get them practising their new vocabulary. One of my favourites is Cluiche Kim, here I remove one of the words and the children must guess which one is missing.
-An mála draíochta: Here I have the new vocab cut and placed in a bag, or I write them on lollipop stick and place them in a jar. I play some music and the bag or jar gets passed around. When the music stops they must select a word and say it.
-Pásail an Liathróid: In this game an imaginary ball is passed around the room. The child must throw the ball to another say their name and the word. The child can then put it into a sentence e.g. (Shane, lámh).

Development
To help them enrich their understanding of the new words, I get them to make a small drama in their table groups. Each table gets one of the new words we are learning. They must incorporate the new word correctly into the drama as much as they can. The table that has used it correctly the most gets a Dojo.

Conclusion
The younger classes will write their new word and draw a picture of it.
Older classes or more able students will put their new words into sentences.
5th/6th classes or younger students with a flair for the language will put their words into a story.
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Primary Teaching Ideas. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY pipdig